Upcoming Special Events
All events listed are free to the public unless otherwise noted, made possible by the Herrett Center, the College of Southern Idaho, the Associated Students of CSI, the CSI Foundation, or as listed. Please join us!
Comments or questions? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Workshops for Kids: Solar Pinhole Projectors - Herrett Center Museum
- August 2, 2017 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
One of the only safe ways to view the sun is by projecting its image. In this class, students will build their own camera obscura (pinhole projector)— perfect for viewing the solar eclipse on August 21st—and use the geometry of similar triangles to measure the sun's diameter.
For ages 10 and up.
- Summer Workshops for Kids: Pendulum Painting - Herrett Center Museum
- August 9, 2017 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Pendulums are everywhere in our lives: they are used to help keep time, in music, in construction, even at the playground. In this class, students will learn what pendulums are and some of their uses and use the pendulum to create a work of art. This class will be a messy one, so dress accordingly!
For ages 8 and up.
- Pomerelle Mountain Star Party solar viewing/water rockets - Centennial Observatory
- August 12, 2017 3:00 PM - 5:30 PM
At the Pomerelle Mountain Lodge. Safe, up-close views of the sun w/ specially filtered telescopes (weather permitting). Make and launch your own 2-liter water bottle rocket.
- Pomerelle Mountain Star Party nighttime telescope viewing - Centennial Observatory
- August 12, 2017 9:45 PM - 12:00 AM
Free telescope viewing behind the Pomerelle Mtn. lodge.
- Summer Workshops for Kids: Origami - Herrett Center Museum
- August 16, 2017 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Find out how the art of folding paper is connected to math and science! Students will learn how an ancient art form can be found in nature and in modern day science applications before trying their hands at origami.
For ages 10 and up.
- KMVT Kids' Fest - Solar viewing - Centennial Observatory
- Astronomy Talk - Faulkner Planetarium
- September 20, 2017 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
"Introducing Sagittarius, the Centaur Archer" by Chris Anderson, Observatory Coordinator
The history, mythology, and interesting celestial targets in this summer zodiac constellation.
Admission (doors open at 7:15 PM):
Children (7-17) & CSI students: $1.50
Ages 0-6: Free